Volume 2. No 3 Information Technology News of the University of California, Davis Spring 1994
Jury Decision Affects MS DOS 6.0 Users
A Los Angeles jury recently decided that
Microsoft Corporation's DoubleSpace data
compression technology, used in the MS-DOS 6.0,
violates two patents held by Stac. MS DOS users
should be aware of the following conditions of that
- Microsoft is not required to recall installed
copies of MS-DOS 6 that contain DoubleSpace.
- The DoubleSpace feature has been pulled from
- Microsoft continues to support existing users of
- The UCD Bookstore has stopped selling MS-DOS that
contains the DoubleSpace feature.
- Microsoft is sending out a revised version of MS-
DOS 6.0* to the UCD Bookstore and future users.
IT Information Resources recommends that you
consult with a UCD Bookstore representative before
purchasing MS-DOS 6.0 or higher.
*The new version number will be 6.21.